Saturday, March 14, 2015

Sweet Apple & Stone Cut Oatmeal Bake

After a lifetime of eating cereal for breakfast I’ve been looking for breakfast ideas that I would not have to prepare every morning. I tried the packets of instant oatmeal but they are full of artificial ingredients and are over processed. I had heard about how good stone-cut oatmeal was but I did not want to spend 45 minutes preparing my breakfast. This recipe enables me to make 6 servings of sweet stone-cut oatmeal bake over the weekend and just warm it in the microwave it in the morning. It’s sweet, crunchy, and has the wonderful taste and texture of stone cut oatmeal. I’m hoping it will also help lower my cholesterol.

Makes 12 Servings

Ingredients
1 C Steel-Cut Oats
½ C Almonds (chopped small)*
½ tsp Kosher Salt
1 Lg Egg
2 C Milk
½ C Firmly-Packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ C Olive Oil
1 Diced Apple (~1C) *
2 oz. Pancetta (diced and fried crisp) Optional*

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, and salt. In a separate medium bowl beat the eggs then stir in the milk, brown sugar and olive oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold in the diced apples and pancetta.

Pour the oatmeal mixture into a 8” x 8” baking dish. Cover with aluminum and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

Serve hot or cool completely and place it in the refrigerator. Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy all week. Just heat in the microwave for 30 seconds and enjoy.

Pronto Substitutes
*Almonds – You can substitute any nut
*Apples – Substitute other firm fruit like pears
*Pancetta – Substitute bacon


To print a copy of this recipe go to Sweet Apple & Stone-Cut Oatmeal Bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.