Saturday, October 4, 2014

Restaurant Review: Bouchon Bistro

California Wine Food Country

Restaurant Review: Bouchon Bistro $$$$ ★★★★★
Location: 6534 Washington Street, Yountville, CA 94599, 707-944-8037

Thanks to my sister, I’ve discovered some of the gastronomic delights of the Napa-Sonoma region of California. One of the most inspiring cookbooks in my collection is Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc. This is one of my go-to books for dishes that are different and exciting. On a recent trip to Napa I was lucky enough to dine at Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bistro and I was not disappointed. Each course provided me with a unique and outstanding taste sensation.

Wheat Stalk Bread
PAIN WHEAT STALK BREAD: Growing up in New York, I always enjoyed crusty Italian bread. Bouchon serves a bread that looks like shafts of wheat where the crust is crisp and the interior soft and chewy. Think of it as individual crusty rolls baked into a loaf. Top that with some butter and you are in bread heaven.

HORS-D’OEUVRE: I grew up eating Jewish style chopped chicken liver spread which was rich, chunky and thick. Bouchon’s Terrine de Foie de Volaille (Chicken Liver Mousse) was light, creamy and was served in a crock along with toasted baguette, raspberry jam and gray sea salt. The combination was pure excitement. The contrast of the light creamy mousse, the raspberry jam and the sea salt all came together into a taste experience like I have never had before.  
Chicken Liver Mousse with Raspberry Jam & Gray Sea Salt

PLATS PRINCIPAUX (Entrée): The Pates du Jour (Pasta of the Day) was a ravioli like pasta stuffed with ricotta and mozzarella. Unlike Italian ravioli it did not have the crimped edges and looked like a round pillow. It was topped with a cream sauce that contained bacon, corn and black truffles. This was my first experience eating truffles (the little black specks on the dish) and they had an earthy, mushroomy perfume that just lifts the dish to a new level.

If you get to Napa make sure you go to Bouchon. They only take reservations two months in advance and reservations are required.

If you get the urge for something sweet
Pates du Jour (Pasta of the Day) 
during the day, be sure to visit Bouchon's Bakery right next door to the restaurant. I stopped by the next day to savor an almond chocolate croissant. 


For additional restaurant reviews and Italian-Fusion recipes go to www.italian-fusion.blogspot.com

Cuisine: French
Rating: ★★★★★
Prices: $$$$ Entrees more than $25
Atmosphere: Elegant Casual
Service: eager to please
Open: lunch and dinner daily
Reservations: Required
Almond Chocolate Croissant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback, comments, and questions on my recipes so that I can tune them for everyone’s kitchen.